Pages

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Changes found in Genesis 1:1-12, KJV

Memorized verses in italics first, then the altered verse found in print and online versions in regular font. The known changes and original wording are pointed out in red. The changes I see, but can only speculate on the original wording, are in blue.


Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."




(As you can see in the picture, my Thompson's Chain Reference shows "heavens" in the margin under 1550, proving this has changed. Also, the side margin states that Moses is a "commonly accepted author"(2420, 4307 chain ref.), proving the change to the title of Genesis. I apologize for the picture being a bit blurry, I'm terrible at taking pictures.)

I'm not certain verses 8 and 13 have been changed, so I'm leaving them alone. I think its interesting that my Thompson's Chain Reference notes in the side margin by verse 5, that Psalm 19:2 says, "there was evening and there was morning, one day", but Psalm 19:2 has been altered, because I know it was "first day", not "one day". (chain ref. 2590).

Genesis 1:11 - And God said, Let the earth bring forth increase, the plant yielding seed, and the tree yielding fruit with its seed in itself, according to its kind, and it was so."

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so."

Genesis 1:12 - And the earth brought forth increase, plants yielding seed, each according to its own kind, and trees yielding fruit with seed in them, each according to its own kind: and God saw that it was good.

"And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good."

"Increase" is noted under 76 in the side margin with "fruit" ( ref. 96), confirming a change from "increase" to "grass". I know the KJV Genesis account has always been "according to its kind" or "each according to its own kind", so because I'm uncertain about whether "each", "own", or "their" was used, I've colored them blue. "Whose seed is in itself" is bizarre and unfamiliar--I'm speculating on what it was by saying "with its seed in itself", and "with seed in them", after looking up other translations. "Herb" may have been a part of this verse, but I don't remember it, and I do remember "plant". Other translations back up the use of "plant", and for verse 12, other translations back up the plural use of "plants" and "trees".

I will make an update to these verses, if I find further proof of their changes.

No comments: